Are you buying an air conditioner? “What size, which brand, how many stars?” The list is endless. The brand and style of air conditioner you choose will influence your decision, but knowing the amount of air conditioner your home requires is essential. Purchasing an air conditioner that is too large would not just be a waste of money in the short term. Every month, an oversized air conditioner will continue to squander money by consuming unnecessary energy. It may also cycle on and off too frequently, failing to remove humidity from the air effectively. AC Company Chandler can be of help in finding the correct AC for your house.
How are AC Sizes Determined?
- The cooling capacity of an AC is measured in tons and is dependent on how many British Thermal Units (BTU) it can remove in an hour. A one-ton unit, for example, can remove 12,000 BTU.
- Air conditioners for the home typically start at 1.5 tonnes and increase in half-ton increments. You may use several broad parameters to get a reasonable estimate of the unit size you would need based on the square footage of your home or take help from the HVAC Service in Queen Creek.
- Depending on the size and number of windows, the exposure of those windows to the south and west, and how the property was insulated, a 2.0 – 2.5-ton unit will be required in a 2,000 square-foot home.
Consider These Factors Before Purchasing an Air Conditioner
- Although square footage-based size estimations help give you an idea of what to expect, there are several different things to consider when appropriately sizing your air conditioning unit. An Energy Management Consultant like HVAC Service should do a thorough evaluation before installing an AC.
- An expert will examine your home and provide you with an estimate for various types of HVAC units to consider. They will then assist you in making a decision depending on your cooling requirements and budget.
- Make a note of the problems you’re having with your air conditioner now, and share your findings with an HVAC consultant like HVAC service.
Importance of a Proper Size Air Conditioner
- Installing the proper size air conditioner for your home significantly impacts your comfort and energy expenditures. You may believe that bigger is always better, but this is not true.
- If you choose an air conditioner too big for your room, it will chill it too quickly. This will cause it to turn off and on incessantly, resulting in reduced efficiency and increased expenditures.
- If you buy a tiny unit, it will likely run continuously to chill the space, and in some situations, it will never reach the ideal temperature. This raises your costs and could make you overheat in the summer.